Friday, March 8, 2013

These Feelings...


“Hey... hey... HEY! WAKE UP!” Aiden heard a voice gradually became louder, calling him.

Aiden opened his eyes slowly. He saw a blue clothed figure wearing a mint cream color jacket with medium long hair. Directly, he knew who it was. He closed his eyes back and rolled his body over to the opposite side.

“Hey! Don't go back to sleep. It's 6pm already. How long have you been sleeping since you've arrived home from school?” Aiden heard the person‘s saying but kept focusing himself to go back to sleep.

“I know you haven't ate or even took a bath right? Hurry up and shower, I'll make you some dinner.” Jessica continued while grabbing his arms – forcing him to get up from the couch he had slept on.

The house was empty this time of the hour, it always is. Aiden's mom and dad are very busy so they haven’t arrived home yet. Aiden came from an above average family but wasn't too wealthy too.

He had a medium sized house, it's warm and comfortable most of the time. But it's lacking of the presence of love - his parents attentions to be exact.

Aiden knew his mom and dad worked hard for him because they loved and cared about him a lot. He knew that clearly, but sometimes he just missed his quality time with them.

Aiden wasn't able to convey this to his parents and often felt jealous towards Jessica's good relationship with her parents. Jessica knew about this all along and understands Aiden very well.

Aiden woke up and sat straight while adjusting his eyes with the fire shining bright from the fireplace. Soon, he realized that he had left the TV on the entire time he slept and directly took the remote on the table in front of him to shut it off.

He went up and walked towards the bathroom, passing the kitchen. There he saw Jessica who was cooking seriously. She is his childhood friend and neighbor.

Jessica has always been an important person in his life; he could even conclude that she is like a family to him. Jessica knew his mom and dad were busy so she constantly came to keep him company because Aiden tends to get lonely easily.

He watched her for a while, gazing on to her and soon smiled in relief – knowing that he wasn't alone and grateful she was here with him.

The rain was falling heavily outside; thunder and lightning were shooting as fast as a rocket and as loud as a child screaming. The winds were whirling, dancing towards the trees and plants causing them to sway like they were doing waltz.

Inside, after Aiden finished taking a bath, he went straight to the kitchen and watched Jessica cooked. But Jessica was so focused by her work she didn't realize Aiden was behind her, watching.

Jessica was chopping some vegetables when accidentally she cut her own finger, causing a minor injury. Blood was flowing out of the cut, “Ouch!” she mumbled as soft as she could, not wanting Aiden to know – she thought Aiden was outside the kitchen that time.

Jessica didn't realize that Aiden was behind her all this time. Aiden saw what happened and acted quickly, walking directly towards her.

“Jess, are you okay?” he took her hand and examined the wound. He looked at her, very concerned, “I'll take the medicine first, you wait here okay?”

Aiden jogged to his room as fast as he could. 'Bang! Bash! Bam! Clank! Clink!' Jessica could hear loud noises coming out of Aiden's room. He frantically searched for the medicine and arrived on the cupboard he had in his room, “Alien mask? No... Board games? No... Canvas? No...” he kept on finding things he didn't need in this kind of situation.

Until sometime later, he found the emergency medical kit and ran as fast as a shooting star to the kitchen. But he didn't find Jessica there, he looked outside the kitchen and found Jessica was seating in the sofa on the living room – in front of the fireplace and TV.

Jessica was silently holding her wounded finger while watching the TV. Soon, she noticed that someone was behind her. She looked back and smiled seeing a familiar figure standing there.

“Hey, I'm sorry it took you so long to wait. It was hard to find it, it's almost nowhere to be found. All I could find at first was some old stuff I had,” he said, flustered.

She giggled, “It's okay.”

She signaled him to come closer to her, “Hurry! Before the cut becomes worst.”

“Okay,” he came closer.

He holds her hand gently and applied medicine on the cut. Jessica shivered a little from the pain but when Aiden looked upwards at her, she forced a reassuring smile so he won't feel worried.

Afterwards, they went back to the kitchen and had dinner together. They were laughing, talking loudly – enjoying the time they had.

“Aiden! Stop stealing my food! You have your own you know!” She pouted, trying to stop Aiden's actions. 

“Hehe. I like seeing you angry,” he smirked evilly, full of victory.

“You idiot!”

They continued eating happily. The kitchen became vivacious, cheerful, noisy and warm despite the unfriendly weather – storm – outside, where everything seemed so cold and lonely.

“Jess, we would always be like this right? Nothing will change right?” Aiden asked. Now, they’re in the living room – sitting down next to each other while watching the TV. The fireplace was just underneath the hanging TV screen, giving a sense of warmth and peace.

Jessica found this question rather odd but managed to answer, “Of course, nothing will ever change. Why do you ask?” She was gazing on the fireplace, not paying any attention to the news broadcaster on TV.

Aiden looked at her, seriousness was drawn in his face. His eyes showed worriedness, “I’m just making sure that we’re not going to lose each other.”

Jessica stared back at his black brownish eyes, showing a comforting smile.
“We won’t. I promise, except if you were to break them.”

“I won’t, you don’t trust me?”

“I don’t…” Jessica showed her serious face and Aiden really thought she didn’t trust him, sadness was seen in his eyes.

Jessica saw this and laughed, “Of course I do trust you Aiden. Okay, to settle this matter let’s pinky promise like we always do since we’re a kid.”

Aiden saw Jessica had raised her pinky already, ready to accept his and he laughed, “Okay.”

Aiden responded to Jessica’s pinky and Jessica smiled widely, “Now, there’s no need to worry right? We’ve pinky promised!”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Don’t ask such questions, Aiden. It scares me you know, thinking that we might part someday. We’ve been friends all our life; nothing’s going to change.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m glad I know you. I’m glad I’m close to you.”

“Me too.”

They smiled and continued to watch the TV with ease when a couple of minutes later the doorbell rang.

“Must be mom and dad. I better open it.”

“I’ll come with you,” Jessica said and they both went to the door.

“Hi mom! Hi dad!” Aiden said cheerfully. Mr. and Mrs. Lee looked exhausted but managed a smile when they saw their only son and his best friend.

“Mr. and Mrs. Lee, hello.” Jessica politely said.

“Hello to you too Jessica.” Mr. Lee said while smiling.

Aiden’s parent went inside and seemed really relief that Jessica was here to accompany their son.

“Jessica, thank you for always being here for Aiden when we weren’t. We’re grateful that you’re here.” Aiden’s parents genuinely said.

“You’re very welcome Mr. and Mrs. Lee,” Jessica looked at the watched she wore. It shows that it’s almost 10 already.

“I would love to spend more time with you but I better get going, it’s late already. I think my parents would be waiting.” She smiled courtly.

“Ah! You better get going then. Don’t make them worry and give them our hello and thanks okay? We’ll visit sometime.” Aiden’s mom said.

“Okay,” Jessica replied.

She turned to Aiden, “Aiden, I better go now.”

“Okay, I’ll accompany you to your house.”

“You don’t need to, it’s close anyway.”

“I’m worried about you and it’s late already. Please let me accompany you and drop you off.” He pleaded and showed his killer puppy dog eyes.

Jessica hesitated but gave in, “Fine, fine. You’re so cunning! You know I can’t resist those puppy eyes of yours.”

“It’s because I know, that’s why I did it.” He grinned in victory.

Aiden’s parents watched their son’s actions and smiled, happy that he had a friend like Jessica.

“You guys better get going now, Jessica’s parents is waiting for her at home. Take care of Jessica on the way okay Aiden?” Aiden’s dad warned him.

“You don’t need to tell me, I know already.” Aiden grinned.

“Mr. and Mrs. Lee, I’ll be going now. Thank you and see you.” Jessica said, respectfully.

“Be careful on your way you two!” Mrs. Lee raised her voice a little because Aiden and Jessica were at the door already.

The storm had stopped and so they went outside and walked. The streetlights were dimly lighted and the winds were breezing lightly passing them, caressing their face.

So they went two houses to the right from Aiden’s house and arrived at her house in a couple of minutes. Jessica smiled and bid goodbye saying she’ll meet him again tomorrow. Aiden grinned and agreed. He watched her as she went inside her house and eventually closing the door.

There’s always this fluttering feeling he had when he’s with her, when he saw her glowing smile and cute pouts. He’s somehow always smitten when he saw her and his heart always beats two times faster than it should be.

Walking back home, he thought about what these feelings were but couldn’t figure it out in the end.

“Maybe someday I’ll know what these feelings actually are.” Aiden mumbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment